People Finder

Photo by Palmer Lewis (Courtesy the Patterson Family)

Raymond M. Patterson


After service with the military in WW I during which he became a Prisoner of War, Raymond Patterson attended Oxford University and worked for the Bank of England. However he longed for adventure and moved to Canada, living on a homestead in the Peace River area from 1924 to 1929. During this time he made a solo canoe trip to the Nahanni River that became the basis of his book, "The Dangerous River."

From 1929 until 1933 he lived with his new wife, Marigold, at the Buck Spring Ranch near Cochrane, Alberta from where he began travelling and exploring in the Rockies. In 1930 he made his first trip with George Pocaterra and in 1931 completed a major trip with Pocaterra, travelling up the Highwood River and over Highwood Pass into the Kananaskis Lakes are from which they crossed Elk Pass and reached what they referred to as the giants of Nyahe-ya-nibi, Mount CadornaMount SwiderskiMount BattistiMount HeadHoly Cross MountainNorth Kananaskis PassPatterson's PeakGeorge Dawson) burst on her suddenly in all its autumn glory."

After the tire was changed Patterson was telling her the names of the mountains and included "Patterson's Peak." The ranch guest was most impressed saying, "So you've got a mountain named after you. How marvellous! Tell me all about it, now, while we look at it." Patterson explained with a grin, "That peak's nameless on the map. It's an orphan mountain and I just adopted it. If you ride up Flat can leave your horse and clamber on up the valley to a lake that's hidden behind that mountain."

Raymond Patterson claimed the mountain with some justification however, having had some personal experience on the peak. On a June morning, a year or two previous to hosting Mrs. Pope, he had left the ranch before dawn on what became an unsuccessful solo attempt to climb the mountain. Renovations were being made to the Patterson's home and with the disruptions and construction crew working there were, "too many people around and not a moment's peace...So, without saying anything to anybody, I got up in the dark one morning and got my own breakfast and got out of the place while the bunch was still enjoying its beauty sleep -just kissed the outfit good-bye for one whole perfect day."

Patterson rode nineteen kilometres up Flat Creek to the small lake below the northwest slopes of the mountain and, "...after lunch I took it into my head to climb that peak." In "Far Pastures," Patterson details how his progress was stopped about halfway to the summit by overhanging rock and how he eventually plummeted out of control down a steep snowslope before gently sliding onto the rocks at the bottom where, fortunately, the slope had become less steep.

He concluded his story by telling Mrs. Pope, "All in all it was a memorable day and I still feel I have a sort of squatter's right to that mountain."

The name was made official in 2000. On August 19th of that year a dedication ceremony organized by Patterson's biographer, David Finch, and the two people responsible for making the name official, Gillean Daffern and Dave Birrell. It was held on Sullivan Hill just north of Highway #541. Marigold Patterson was present as were Raymond and Marigold's sons Robin and Alan and daughter Janet Blanchet.

As Joyce Moore wrote in her newspaper column after being one of a hundred or so Patterson admirers present, "The spirit of Raymond Patterson was with us that day -his love of the mountains, his desire for adventure, and his joy in books and writing."

Patterson's biography, "Raymond Patterson -A Life of Great Adventure" by David Finch, was published by Rocky Mountain Books in December, 2000.

[Additional Information: Patterson, Raymond M. "Buffalo Head". New York: William Sloane Associates, 1961]

[Additional Information: Patterson, Raymond M. "Far Pastures". Sidney, B.C.: Gray's Publishing, 1963]